About Piper

Piper is a long haired German shepherd dog who was born on September 24, 2004. She was brought home by my family on April 5, 2005. On June 12, 2009 she was diagnosed with Enzyme Pancreatic Insufficiency or E.P.I. Simply put her pancreas is no longer secreting the enzymes that are required for her to properly digest her food so she has been slowly starving to death. Now that she has been diagnosed she can begin treatment and live a full and active life.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Week Two

Well week two was looking very promising. Piper’s poops have been rock solid and I was excited to take her into the vet on Thursday to have her first weigh in. After dropping the kids off at religious education I drove back to the house and loaded Piper in the car despite the raging monsoon. As we pulled up to the vet’s office Piper howling in protest, I noticed that there were no lights on in the office. I left Piper in the car and went into the office only to find out that due to all of the thunderstorms earlier that morning they were without power and I would not be able to have her weighed.
The good news is as of Thursday July 2nd we reduced the amount of enzyme she was receiving by 1/8th of a tsp. The bad news is she just puked on my kitchen floor. It was mostly a mix of mucous & water but still a bit disheartening. We have had on and off thunderstorms this afternoon and evening and she reacts poorly to these. As you can see from the picture, she usually hides on our bed panting and shaking, not what you want to wake up to at 3 am! I am hoping it is due to her neurosis and not the decrease in enzyme. Of course it was charted as soon as it occurred as well as the fact that she was upset due to the weather. I had planned a subsequent decrease on Sunday if she reacted well but I think I will wait and see if any other incidences occur. I hope to be able to report another decrease in enzyme as well as a weight gain in next weeks update.

No comments:

Post a Comment